December 13, 2007

Keys To Success: Competence

One of things I hope to accomplish on this blog are to capture the elusive concept of "success" in various KPIs.

What exactly is competence? That mystical quality that makes some people get things done, and others just not. That lets some people hit the ground running and face unseen issues with poise, and some just to get flustered.

I frequently hear my clients tell me that my productivity is unbelievable and that my analytics are incomprehensible -- and this is not a bragging point to me but a case study: I don't think of myself as any more capable or intelligent than any other human being, but I deliver what I promise.

I propose that competence is tied to two things: the ability to take calculated risks, and the fortitude to do what is needed to complete a task in the face of unseen obstacles.

Can you invest capital that you don't yet know you have, or build skills that you don't know how to build and then execute with them? I think that's all it takes.

What do you think?

No comments: